Monday, February 16, 2015

Spring Dreamin'

For the last couple of weeks I have been completely over winter and ready for spring to come along! I'm typically excited for winter before Christmas and then once Christmas is over, I'm done with winter and the cold weather. Thank goodness I live in the south where spring comes relatively quickly! But even down here in Birmingham it's still cold and I'm getting cabin fever!!

I recently moved into a studio apartment and the only downside is not having an outdoor space. All of my homes until now have had porches or yards where I can keep plants, have gardens, etc. I LOVE flowers, plants, growing veggies, and I am going to struggle a little this year without a space of my own to do that.

So due to my love for plants and my desire to force spring along, I decided to start bringing the outside in to my place this weekend and visited my local nurseries (Hanna's Garden Shop particularly) to find some ways to do that!

____________________________
 
 
 
 
 
 
I had this beautiful gold bowl/planter that really could be used for many things. I really wanted to use it as a planter though because I thought the gold would look amazing with some green contrast.
 
 
 
Paperwhites (Narcissus papyraceus)
 
 
My first thought was to put paperwhites (Narcissus bulbs) in it because I love long green stalks and the white flowers. I thought it would look so clean and pretty in the gold container. Paperwhites are really more of a winter/Christmastime flower and wouldn't last as long as I'd want at this point. So I changed gears a bit.
 
 
Hyacinths
 
 
My other thought was planting some hyacinths in it because the green stalks with beautiful flowers would look great. Plus, hyacinths are some of my favorite flowers and they smell heavenly! Unfortunately, because I'm ahead of Mother Nature's schedule though, hyacinths have been harder to find.
 
Alas, thanks to one of my awesome local nurseries, Hanna's Garden Shop, I found all these awesome plants and put them together in this pot for this amazing mini forest!!  I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out and it's already brightening up my kitchen!
 


The back left plant is a Fern Maidenhair. The back center is a Fern Lemon Button. The back right is a Fern Plumosa. The front center is Selaginella. And the green and white leafed one on the sides is Fittonia.

I'll keep you updated with all the other greenery and flowers I bring into my home :)








No comments:

Post a Comment